My tiny speck of planet Earth looks like this:
To the locals’ dismay I actually like it. I understand the haters – dangerous roads, health hazards, those who need shelter, crazy heating costs.
Don’t imagine that this winter love comes from a “sunny disposition”. Nope. I fight my own negativity. All. The. Time.
But here are ten reasons why a snowy cold winter is still a rock star:
1. WHITE, WHITE, WHITE – It could be ugly brown or grey but we get WHITE, fluffy stuff. It reflects and magnifies our little bit of sunlight.
2. NO BUGS. NO WEEDS – Without these temperatures, bugs, plant diseases, and weeds would be a disaster come summer.
3. YEARLY RESET - The land rests and restores. Without it there would not be enough nutrients for green growing things. I need that reset too.
4. REALITY CHECK – I’m not in control. It is good for me to have to change plans. Shovel snow. Manage work, family, and social life that is now whackadoo. Being snowed in and a little cabin crazy reminds me to be grateful for a working body and the availability of transit unavailable to so many others.
5. LIGHT – The sun stays up longer EVERY DAY.
6. WONDER – Winter is only a wonderland when you are outside. We all once were children who remembered to play in the snow.
7. RHYTHM – A Californian once told me that although she loves her weather, it is disorienting not to have the four seasons, especially fall and winter. There’s something about the passage of time marked by the seasons that reminds us how short time really is.
8. DISCIPLINE – I used to think that ”if I had time”, I would get A, B, and C done. Nope. I didn’t get it done because it was not a priority. Snow days highlight my undisciplined life and I am tightening up some unraveled habits.
9. SECRET THINGS - Each blackened tree holds a secret. It looks dead. Frozen. Dead limbs. But in the fall, new buds have already formed. They are waiting for…
10. SPRING – Bleak is the perfect backdrop to green things. The canvas is cleared, framed and ready for the life miracle that is coming.